GPL License Violation?

Discussion of Rogue and NetHack for iPhone
ji xing
IQ Test: Orange

GPL License Violation?

Post by ji xing » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:58 pm

The nethack code used by the program specifically require that any program using it should make the source code available. So, is it available?

gandreas
Immortal

Re: GPL License Violation?

Post by gandreas » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:19 am

First, NetHack isn't under the GPL - it's under the NetHack General Public License, which is significantly different.

More specifically:
You may copy and distribute NetHack (or a portion or derivative of it, under Paragraph 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of Paragraphs 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:
a) accompany it with the complete machine-readable source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Paragraphs 1 and 2 above; or,

b) accompany it with full information as to how to obtain the complete machine-readable source code from an appropriate archive site. (This alternative is allowed only for noncommercial distribution.)

For these purposes, complete source code means either the full source distribution as originally released over Usenet or updated copies of the files in this distribution used to create the object code or executable.
So simply stating "you can download the original source from http://www.nethack.org/v343/downloads.html" meets section b's "how to obtain..from the appropriate archive site" with "complete source code..as originally released over Usenet".

Second, modified source code is coming, I'm trying to clean it up so that there's even the slightest chance to be able to compile it without having to go through dozens of painful steps (there's a whole lot of bootstrapping in there that don't quite work with Xcode - I can't even currently build it on anything other than my primary development machine).