The Dicenomicon for OS X

Simulated dice for role playing games
gandreas
Immortal

The Dicenomicon for OS X

Post by gandreas » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:40 am

In case you haven't seen it in the other thread, there will be a version of The Dicenomicon for OS X.

(These images will be too wide to view fully in the forum, so you'll want to right/control click on them and "view in separate window")

I've also got a good start at globals editing:

(Yes, there are some major UI changes between the two screen shots - it is still evolving)

One of the nice things is that it is designed to be completely compatible with character sheets and other importable/exportable data from the iOS version (I've actually been exporting game rooms from the device and importing them into the OS X version to test things before I got globals editing working).

And on the flip side, it is much easier to do the "write/test/debug" cycle with things like character sheets when you just have to drag the XML file from your editor to The Dicenomicon and instantly see the results (and as much work as I've put into making the roll editor easy to use on the device, typing in formulas without a "real" keyboard is always going to be painful)

And while this is also impacting the release schedule for 3.0, it is enabling faster/easier debugging of some of the new features.

ranmadavies
IQ Test: Orange

Re: The Dicenomicon for OS X

Post by ranmadavies » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:23 pm

This is awesome. it would help with editing the visual of the character sheets greatly as you wouldn't need to export/import all the time to the iphone/ipad, just close program, edit file, load program to see changes.

Is there going to be a version for the PC sometime in the future with the same capabilities, for those people who don't have a Mac?

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:26 pm

Nope, sorry, no PC version - there is just way too much of the code that is OS X specific (where "OS X" include iOS). As it is, the OS X version will require Snow Leopard (and thus not work with PPC or earlier systems).

Uranium Dragon
Honored

Post by Uranium Dragon » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:51 pm

Are you going to sell through the Mac App Store, or through here?

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:54 am

The plan is to go through the Mac App Store. There may be some sort of demo available as well (which would not go through the Mac App Store since they don't allow demos)

Uranium Dragon
Honored

Post by Uranium Dragon » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:16 pm

Cool. Been waiting for a Mac version. Let us know.

Also, was cruising through the iPad App store in iTunes using Dungeons and Dragons as a search keyword. Dicenomicon never got listed, though several other dice rollers did. Curious.

bloodfang
Honored

Post by bloodfang » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:46 am

How's the app coming along?

Can't wait to try it.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:12 am

It's coming along nicely - the UI design is proving to be a bit of a challenge.

For example, if you are working on formulas, you want to have the formula editor and console and dice table all visible at once and switch back and forth between them - so you end up "tearing off" the console and editor and try to stagger things around on your screen. This would imply that maybe those two things should two panes in the same window.

However, while actually using it, you may never want to use the editor, so having the extra pane would be a "pain", so keeping them separate makes more sense (and this problem is going to be worse once I get the post-mortem roll inspector debugger going on OS X).

And the combined "game database" and "character sheet picker UI" in 3.0 totally doesn't fit into the UI I had originally designed.

Basically, "good touch UI = bad mouse UI"

Rabid Hamster

Post by Rabid Hamster » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:51 am

Hey there.

Any news on the Mac version of this program.

I'd be interested in using the editor to create some custom character sheets.

Cheers,
Rabid

Mordial

Post by Mordial » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:06 am

Any updates?

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:02 am

Not currently - dealing with iOS 5 issues all over

Killaree

Re: The Dicenomicon Character Sheets

Post by Killaree » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:16 pm

I am looking for character sheet for RoleMaster. I don't write code, so can't figure out how to create my own in Dicebomicon. Can anyone out there help me? Thanks

BigJay2k

Post by BigJay2k » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Any updates?

Bought the full version for my new iPad2...then saw this and returned the iPad, Dicenomicon being the only thing the iPad could do my MacBook can't -- yet!

Love the depth of the die-rolling mechanics -- a specific entry for Hackmaster crits? Genius! -- and character sheets (XML for the win!): everything I could possibly want in one solid tool.

Many thanks!

Uranium Dragon
Honored

Post by Uranium Dragon » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:00 pm

So, I take it you've abandoned this project?

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:31 am

I've found the project unworthy, confusing, ill-conceived, and poorly designed. The Dicenomicon's model of things is designed for a touch based UI, not a mouse/windows/menus UI with concepts like files and documents.

That being said, I've been taking bits and pieces (read, basically all of it) and redoing it into a product that is designed primarily for a GM (but also useful for a player) who can use it during "non play time" to manage a campaign, design a scenario, etc... Think something like a Wiki, but with the ability to include maps, databases of things like monsters, character sheets for multiple (non)player characters, and the like. And then provide tools during play time to help run an adventure (such as a virtual table top/battle map). Oh, yeah, and it also rolls dice.

Basically, it is the product that I've always wanted - it also is designed to work well with some other product restructuring that is going to happen with the release of iOS7.